Re: Twisted chain - Amel 54

Martin Bevan

When Caduceus 54 #56 was new we had a large problem with the galvanised chain twisting and forming knots in the chain locker and jamming in the hawse pipe. This continued despite having a swivel at the anchor end and dropping the chain in deep water many times to take the twists out. Having put up with this for a number of years and some exciting anchoring issues we changed the chain in 2012 in the USA for an “identical” spec chain. We have never had a repeat of the problem. I can only assume that the original AMEL supplies chain was not exactly to standard.