From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Eamonn Washington <eamonn.washington@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:48 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Twisted chain - Amel 54

Hi

In 5 years I never had twisted chain issues, with 80m galvanised chain, anchoring about 120 times a year in the past 3 years.

Amel supplied, shall we say, inferior anchors to what was available in the industry.  Could be they also supplied inferior swivels.  I guess they reason owners would upgrade to modern (spade, rocna, ultra) anchors and swivels.  I personally installed a spade anchor, with a bow shackle to 3 links of chain, then a kong swivel, then my 80m chain.  (The 3 links of chain avoid the swivel ever having a lateral load which would exceed its capabilities.)

Regarding the stainless steel jumping on the gypsy, maybe it is because stainless steel stretches and some links don’t fit so well on the gypsy any more.

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Denia, Spain.