Re: Twisted chain - Amel 54

Matt Salatino

About 3 years ago, we performed an experiment. We removed the swivel.
After 3 years, anchoring 5 months at a time, we’ve never had a twisted chain. The anchor always came up properly.
I feel a bit more secure without having a swivel, that could be a potential failure point in my ground tackle.

On Oct 11, 2019, at 1:18 AM, Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

Eamonn,
Be sure to carry spare Allen bolts for the Kong.
Last year when changing my chain end for end I began to unscrew the Allen Key bolt that holds the Kong together. The head of the Allen bolt just came away leaving the threaded section in place, and the rest of the Kong came apart in its regular pieces.
There was nothing wrong with the s/s on the Kong, but internally the head of the bolt had gone black (like carbon) and was rotten. No evidence of deterioration on the outside.
I don’t use a swivel any more. No problems with twisted chain! But I always swap ends every year.

Ian

Ocean Hobo, SN96