Re: Cabin sole revarnish

James Alton

Miles,
   The way I fix teak plywood that has been damaged is to find some teak of a smilar grain and colour to do the patching rather than to use just epoxy.  I rip the teak usually using a table saw to a thickness just a bit more that the original.  Cut my patch pcs. Slightly larger than the areas to be repaired.  I note and line up the grain direction when cutting these patch pcs.  Then I lay the patch pcs. Over the areas to be repaired and mark with a fine pencil. A sharp chiesel and some patience should give you a tight fitting pc.  Epoxy in place,  cure and then plane/scrap or sand to thickness.  

Best,

James
SV Sueno
Enroute to Cephalonia

Sent from Samsung tablet.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/12/19 1:15 AM (GMT+02:00)
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Cabin sole revarnish

Many thanks Denise 👍

On a few places on the cabin sole the ply has chipped at locker edges. Has anyone experience of how to fix this?
I was thinking of colouring as necessary then building up the height with a little epoxy before applying the varnish / polyurethane 

If so how best to thicken the epoxy to fill the chipped gaps but still remaining ‘clear’

Thanks again 

Miles

On 1 Oct 2019, at 14:19, Denise McGovern <Mcgovern.denise@...> wrote:

Miles,

We used Waterlox on a 40 year old cabin sole with beautiful results.  https://www.waterlox.com/marine  

An big advantage is that you can re-coat at any time to build the finish,  fix a problem spot, or give a refresh.

Good luck!
Denise
s/v CARA
SM #440
Chesapeake Bay
<Bristol After.jpg><Bristol Before.jpg>

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.