Re: Battery Chargers

John Clark

Hi Kent,
   I have the Magna 4124 inverter-charger.  105 amps DC charging capacity...though that is a bit much for my battery bank.  I got the remote control module which lets you program just about any charge profile you wish.    I imaging the battery charger only version will have the same charging capabilities.  I had no issues with the unit for first 8 months then the charging routine developed a mind of its own.  After some phone troubleshooting the tech rep figured out the charging control board had failed and had the unit replaced under warrantee.   No issues since.

I got the inverter-charger unit so it could act as a whole house supplier of 230v/50hz AC.  Our little 600w inverter is ok to run the ice maker and charge phones but not much else.  With the big inverter we don't have to start the genset for short duration high power loads like a shop vac, microwave, toaster....   It wires in at the Amel auto transfer switch and is invisible.  If we are not using it I turn it off at the remote control panel.

The remote control is also handy. On the inverter model it can display the internal temperature of key electronic components...especially important if you install the unit in the engine room as I did.  (FYI no temperature issues when located in the forward port corner. On Annie this is the area where air is introduced to the engine room.)

I purchased the unit through Marysville Marine distributors.

Regards,  John

SV Annie SM37
Brunswick GA

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:39 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All!  Great to see/meet so many of you at Annapolis this weekend.

I am looking for a new battery charger.  I have 8 group 31 Crown 130 AHr batteries for 520AHr bank at 24 V.DC.  They require equalizing at 31V for 1-4 hours periodically.  My Victron Skylla-i 80 amp charger has died and won’t be back from repair facility until after we leave.  It wasn’t ideal because of safety limits built in that don’t allow it to adequately desulfate my bank.
 I’m looking for a 80-100 A charger that will do what I need it to do and will allow equalization to be started/stopped from the remote panel.  Victron and MasterVolt don’t have that remote function.  Im considering a change to Lithium, but am not ready to pull the trigger yet...it’d be better if my new charger would also work on a Lithium system if/when I make the switch.
  I’ve found two that look like they will do what I want , NEWMAR and MAGNUM.  Does anyone have experience with these brands?  Any other recommendations?

thanks for you thoughts.
Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy