Re: Permanent 24 v to 12 v converter

Paul,

I heard a humorous story about the "PERMANENT." Several owners of SMs, who knew Captain Amel well, complained about losing the memory in the AM/FM radio. Apparently they complained long enough and loud enough that Henri Amel did something about it and installed this PERMANENT 24-12 volt converter. It powers the AM/FM radio, 12 volt accessory receptacles and the Chain Counter. My understanding is that all were installed with an ON/OFF toggle switch (see photo below). Early SMs the switch was to the rear (1st photo), and later SMs the switch (2nd photo) was to the front. The Amel 54 also has a PERMANENT circuit (switch in 3rd photo).

The biggest problem with amp draw that I have seen is that this is the circuit that seems to always get overloaded as new 12 volt devices are added. I do not think that I have ever seen a SM that does not have some wiring added to the PERMANENT circuit. I believe if any SM is drawing more amps than it should on this circuit, that you will find something has been added.
image.png
image.png
image.png

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:30 AM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

I’m surprised about the function of the Permanent 24 v to 12 v converter. If I understand it right the only original function is to keep the memory in the FM/AM radio even when the main switch is off.

The current when it is on is ca 0,5 volt, that is a lot of Ah during a day, or during a two-week crossing it’s close to 165Ah. That is a lot of waste unless you regularly run your gen set but we try to rely on solar.

The only way to turn it off is to pull out the fuse. To me that is overkill to have such a heavy-duty converter for such a little use.

 When my friend changes his car battery, he connects an ordinary 9 volt battery to the stereo and that is enough to keep the memory.

I have connected some 12 v appliances to the permanent converter, 12v led light in the galley, and a few USB outlets.

Have I missed anything about the function of the Permanent converter?

Paul on SY Kerpa SAM#259 Lagos