Re: Twisted chain - Amel 54

Sv Garulfo

Hi all,

Many years ago I read the misadventure of a cruiser who tried to untwist his chain by letting it and the anchor dangle out in deep water, only to find out his windlass couldn’t retrieve the full weight. Oops.

I don’t think it could happen to us, but is it damaging to the windlass? Are there any other good tips to untwist the chain?

Best,
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 10:02, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

I agree Bill

Danny

On 11 October 2019 at 10:09 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Eamonn,

I will politely remind you of this:
"We encourage you to support the Amel brand and be respectful to the brand in your postings. Care should be taken to not post anything that could be considered offensive or derogatory regarding Amel, any Member, or Sponsor."
Please edit your post for two reasons: (1)You stated your opinion as fact, and (2) it was disrespectful of Amel management.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 2:48 PM Eamonn Washington < eamonn.washington@...> wrote:
Hi

In 5 years I never had twisted chain issues, with 80m galvanised chain, anchoring about 120 times a year in the past 3 years.

Amel supplied, shall we say, inferior anchors to what was available in the industry.  Could be they also supplied inferior swivels.  I guess they reason owners would upgrade to modern (spade, rocna, ultra) anchors and swivels.  I personally installed a spade anchor, with a bow shackle to 3 links of chain, then a kong swivel, then my 80m chain.  (The 3 links of chain avoid the swivel ever having a lateral load which would exceed its capabilities.)

Regarding the stainless steel jumping on the gypsy, maybe it is because stainless steel stretches and some links don’t fit so well on the gypsy any more.

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Denia, Spain.