Re: Companion way for removal

INUS - BUSCH

Hi Eric,
you mention the use of wax to block the UV on the Formica.
I am curious what wax did you use and also if it can be used to prevent the gelcoat from bleaching?
All the best
Dieter
Fal-lera Sharki #135

Am 13.10.2019 um 04:10 schrieb eric freedman <kimberlite@...>:

Hi Miles,

I wanted to replace the veneer on Kimberlites companionway and replace it with laminate.

To get to the entire door off  you have to remove the hard dodger.—NO WAY--

I removed the stop and blocked the companionway door all the way up till it touched the dodger. I then made a rail the height of the side trim.

Using these rails and a router I was able to get to  the edges of the door. Of course the veneer that is under the trim cannot be replaced but it cannot be seen. I then routed the entire door and applied the laminate- I used Formica brand color teak. Seven years and it is still holding up. However it is important to use wax to block the UV on the Formica.

Pictures attached.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376