Re: New Genoa sail for Amel 54

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Barry,

Yes, the genoa should have a foam luff. As i said before sailmakers seem to resist puttig them in but you cannot have good sail shape partially furled without. The same applies to any luff furling sail, it is to do with the greater fullness in the middle of the sail  as it furls the foam luff takes it up. However i am surprised you have it on the main. I would have thought there would not be room in the mast to allow this. I have just accepted the poorer main shape partially furled.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 16 October 2019 at 04:00 "Barry Connor via Groups.Io" <connor_barry@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,
I do have foam luffs in my main sail but can’t see any in the original supplied Genoa.
Is it good to also have foam luffs in the Genoa?
Best

Barry and Penny
“S/V Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Almerimar, Spain

On Oct 15, 2019, at 12:00, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Hi Alan,

I cant agree that a rope insert is a viable option. I have had it foisted on me by sailmakers in the past. It does not do the job. A properly made foam insert is tapered at the ends and full in the middle. This takes up the fullness in the center of the sail and maintains good sail shape.It is important that the thickness of the foam is comensurate with the cut of the sail.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 15 October 2019 at 20:11 Alan Leslie < s.v.elyse@...> wrote:

If you intend to sail with the genoa partly furled you definitely need a foam or rope luff insert.
Even with these the sail shape is not great when furled but it's definitely better than not having it.
The sail shape doesn't look too bad from the cockpit, but have a look at a yacht sailing behind you with a furled genoa and you'll see how baggy it is, whoich wehne the breeze gets up, is exactly what you don't want!
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437