Re: Super Maramu stern bumper painting

James Cromie

Thank you for everyone’s responses. (you saved me some money!)
-James

On Oct 21, 2019, at 9:29 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

No primer, but sand well.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019, 9:07 PM James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Great.  Thank you.  Is any primer necessary, or simply pile on the coats?

-James
On Oct 19, 2019, at 10:01 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

James,

Ditto on what Karen said. It is water base, flexible, and will need 3-5 coats.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019, 7:49 PM Karen Smith via Groups.Io <karenharmonie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Use paint made for inflatable dinghies. The bumper is made of dense closed cell polyurethane foam. We have used the West Marine Brand with excellent luck by following preparation directions _exactly_.  We re-paint once a year and have never had a failure of the paint.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--top-coating-for-inflatable-boats-gray-quart--P010_301_001_501  (Pick your favorite color!)

Anything else will be too brittle and crack off, epoxy will be even worse.  You really should use a water based paint, since some solvents can attack the surface of the closed cell foam leaving you worse off than before you started.

Painting this part BEFORE it needs it is key to keeping it protected from UV and having a long lasting, good looking, bumper.  They are expensive, and sometime hard to get. Take good care of it and it will last a very long time.