Re: tb/BRISBANE area marina & yard/AYOG

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Teun

Regarding your question about the new sails for Island Pearl II from Emrah at Q Sails, I should also first thank you now for your positive recommendations in terms of your Pacific shipping experience with QSails, and the quality. Based on your advice, that of Bill, and so many other Amel Q Sail clients we went ahead and ordered a completely new set of sails to be sent to us in Fiji.

I did not want to comment too early before we had actually got to try the sails out on a passage. Firstly, similar to your experience Emrah delivered the sails all the way to Nadi in Fiji on the precise day promised, and at the exact agreed on cost too. That was impressive!  Next, the sails fitted our boat #332 absolutely perfectly, right out of the box!  I have purchased new sets of sails for previous boats from both Hood and North Sails, and so in comparison could immediately see the quality of these Q Sails was really good.

We eventually only got the last of the three new sails all up 10 days ago, the day before sailing 800nm from New Caledonia to Bundaberg in Australia since our previous sails were still usable, and I wanted these sails to be "as new" for the future new owner of Island Pearl II when we sell soon.

On the test sail from New Caledonia to Bundaberg in Australia, we had very light winds and I certainly was very pleased with the shape of the new sails in all winds, and the added speed which we got in low winds. Initially, I did not have the mainsail halyard tight enough, but as soon as I corrected that issue, the sails furled even better than the old ones ever did, both upwind and downwind. Over the last 36hrs of the passage we had constant winds of 23 - 27kts and I was really delighted with the performance and shape when reefed back at all different reefing points.

So in a nutshell, yes thank you for your recommendation.  I too now am also another very happy Amel owner after purchasing from Q Sails.

Best regards
Colin
SV Island Pearl II
Bundaberg Port Marina
(Now for sale in Australia, with all Australian Import Duty and taxes paid, so the new owner would be allowed to keep it here during the Pacific Cyclone seasons.  Australia is the perfect base from which to easily explore the very best cruising grounds in the world, ie the South Pacific, with a safe easy crossing back and forth to New Caledonia and Fiji each year with the Downunder Rally as you build your sailing confidence before sailing Asia and the Indian Ocean.  Contact me if interested on svislandpearl@... )

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 4:23 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Hi Lauren & Colin,

Deeply appreciate your Email and I am already sending an Email to Mandy at this (early) moment. 😊

I will be sending you an Email with several other questions in reference to my AUSTRALIA stay.

How did your new sails work out?

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA