Re: seals orientation

Mohammad Shirloo

I will also throw in my 2 cents. One of the major reasons we elected to buy an Amel, was that the boat concept, its design and systems had been tested for decades, in conditions that we expected to encounter.

It is my belief that any design can be improved on. However without sufficient of real world testing, the success of the improvement is only theoretical. Design changes sometimes have unintended consequences that only show up after time. In my opinion, if there is a proven design, on a critical system that has performed for decades if done correctly, should not be changed without sufficient real world testing.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad & Aty
Amel 54 #099
B&B Kokomo

On Oct 26, 2019, at 8:01 AM, CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse@...> wrote:

Many of you know my thoughts on this and I will not bore you with why I believe the Amel way is the best way.

I don't want to start an argument and I respect each owner's opinion....but, I cannot let this continue without saying something. There are plenty of newbies in this group who may not understand the correct procedure and the risks.

Ask yourself this question:
Which is more important? Keeping oil in the C-Drive, or keeping water out? And if you had a chance to cut the chance of one of these risks occurring in half, which would you choose?
Oil in? Or, water out?

The biggest reason, in fact the only reason, that I have witnessed for either oil leaking out or water leaking in, is the person doing the job actually did not do it correctly. There were important steps, either omitted or done wrong. There are correct seals and incorrect seals. There are Amel OEM wear bushings and knock-offs.

My recommendation is to: Do the job as though Henri Amel is looking over your shoulder. I believe he is.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 9:32 AM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
I'd be interested to hear how many hours you all have on your seals, too.

We did the two aft seals with the spring facing sea water and the forward two seals with spring facing the oil. So far 600 hours and zero drop in oil and zero water ingress. But I see the logic behind Jose's method with any oil leaking past the single forward seal lubricating the aft two seals.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69