Re: Tips for the passage from Chesapeake to St. Maarten?

Mike Ondra

Hi Scott. Sounds like you’ve got a decent plan started there. Aletes has made this trip twice before and planning departing Norfolk morning  of November 4 pending final weather check. Taking pretty much the same route you suggest. Let’s stay in touch as we get out to sea.
Mike  Ondra
Aletes SM240

On Oct 28, 2019, at 7:12 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Hi all,

We're anchored in DC right now and will head south after my boss (aka insurance) allows me to do so. The intent is to stage in Hampton or Norfolk and make the offshore passage to St. Maarten. I believe it's a tad under 1500 nm.

I know many of you have made this passage before so I am hoping to get some tips on how to best time it and also any tips in general. The east coast gets unpredictable in November and we're watching weather, trying to understand the patterns. The conventional wisdom of leaving on a NW'er doesn't seem to make sense for Norfolk because it seems it will take us 2 days to completely clear the Gulf Stream and we don't want to be out in it when the wind clocks to the NE.

Other tidbits I've gotten is that it's not worth it to stop in Bermuda and plan on 10 days more or less. Head E-SE until we get to the 65W and then rhumb line it to St. Maarten.

It will be just the two of us, FYI. Any and all tips appreciated.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69