Re: D3-110 oil blow-by

Porter McRoberts

Scott.
I am sorry to say this was the first symptom of my failed rings and block.
It was actually the second block I’d had in the boat. Which lead to the third which also failed and then to a completely new H series Volvo D3. Which has been perfect (500hrs).

Those red betas are amazing engines. And if it had been on my dime I’d have bought one. Volvo ended up paying for our new H D3.

Boost pressure sensor failing due to oil?  That’s the death rattle.

I hope I am wrong Scott.

Best of luck.

Porter
A54-152. IBIS
OPUA, NZ

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com

On Oct 29, 2019, at 2:33 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Hi all,

My Volvo D3-110 is exhibiting what I think is blow by. Oil migrates up the return hose and slowly collects in the air filter. In the attached photo, I am pointing to the hose where oil migrates.

I have read some articles that indicate that blow by indicates worn rings (only 2250 hours!) but also might be due to a failed/clogged crankcase breather or just because the tolerances are loose when the engine is cold, so there's inevitably some blowby.

It's not a lot of oil, perhaps a tablespoon per 100 hours or so, but it's annoying in that it starts leaking out of the air filter housing, across the hoses and down to the engine room floor.

Should I be worried?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69