Re: D3-110 oil blow-by

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

Maybe it fits in here most.

I am asking all with Volvo D3-110 motor in Amel 54.

I like to get some basic values about this motors.

What is the max rpm when under way?

What is the max vessel speed?

What is average fuel consumption?

What is the turbo pressure at certain rpm?

What is the usual temperature at 1500 rpm?

How many hours motor age.

Have ther been extensive repairs in the past?

If anybody has other motor health relevant questions please add.

I like to get some values from other owners. I think with some observations we might gather a base that will help.

Oliver
Vela Nautica
A54#39

Gibraltar

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019, 14:33 Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Hi all,

My Volvo D3-110 is exhibiting what I think is blow by. Oil migrates up the return hose and slowly collects in the air filter. In the attached photo, I am pointing to the hose where oil migrates.

I have read some articles that indicate that blow by indicates worn rings (only 2250 hours!) but also might be due to a failed/clogged crankcase breather or just because the tolerances are loose when the engine is cold, so there's inevitably some blowby.

It's not a lot of oil, perhaps a tablespoon per 100 hours or so, but it's annoying in that it starts leaking out of the air filter housing, across the hoses and down to the engine room floor.

Should I be worried?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69