Re: Tips for the passage from Chesapeake to St. Maarten?

Courtney Gorman

Hi Scott Cindy and I made our first real passage from Brunswick GA to Puerto Rico In January not quite as far But similar course.  I would first recommend putting up your winter enclosure what a great way to sail second no matter what the forecast says East as much as possible before heading south.  We didn’t and when the wind unexpectedly shifted spent 4 days beating into heavy winds and confused seas.  My last advice is don’t be afraid to burn some diesel no reason to suffer IF the ocean isn’t being nice 👍🏻
Cheers
Courtney
54 #101

On Oct 28, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra@...> wrote:

Hi Scott. I think my approach would be to take a look at PredictWind, their departure scenarios. Then look at the forecast and conditions out 2 to 3 days and pick the departure day based on the most comfortable scenario, not the fastest scenario.
Mike
Aletes SM 240

On Oct 28, 2019, at 7:35 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Thanks Mike. It'd be great if we could time it to leave more or less around the same time. We'll probably stick around DC this weekend and may just do an overnighter to get to Norfolk on Sunday.

Since leaving with a NW from Norfolk is not advisable, how do you choose your weather window?

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69