Re: B&G Halcyon (GSC) Gyro-Stabilized Compass

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

I used the NMEA 0183 out at the Raymarine Autopilot to read Mag HDG heading by Actisense NGW-1 (actually I build my own but does the same, only better software).
The actisense bridge sends the mag HDG into my NMEA2000 bus and all connected devices use it for their calculations.

For now I did not realise any delays in the calculations based on HDG. That might be caused by my DIY Actisense bridge, because it has a very fast CPU, taking in consideration that the NMEA 0183 is relative slow.

Oliver from
Vela Nautica
A54#39
Gibraltar

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 23:39 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Oliver,

Early 54s had Raymarine autopilots and a fluxgate compass. The fluxgate was located on the port side near the forward port side corner of the dining table sectional seating.

Later 54s had Furuno AutoPilots and had a Furuno electronic compass located on the Starboard side just forward of the saloon water tight bulkhead. The strange thing that I discovered is that B&G will not read the HDG of a Raymarine Fluxgate Compass from the NMEA OUT on the Raymarine processor, but the B&G will read HDG from the NMEA OUT of the Furuno compass. I have always believed that "fluxgate" is a Raymarine Trademark for an electronic compass.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:47 PM Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:
Hi Wolfgang,

I think I got also only the fluxgate from Raymarine. I will look for it in the forward cabin.

I could not find any other compass or wires for it when I remouved the hydra system 2 weeks ago. It was no more working and we replaced it by a NMEA2000 system. New windvane and tridata sounder with sonic speed integrated.

Maybe I need to add a faster Nmea 2k compass if the fluxgate updates slow. For now I did not reasise any delay

Regards Oliver
A54#39
Vela Nautica
Gibraltar

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 11:09 Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Oliver,
In the moment I am not on the boat, but I think I only have the compass which belongs to the Furuno Autopilot, which is in the Bb Forwardcabin in the bilge. My boat is now in Fort Lauderdale and will be shipped to Gibraltar (hopefully) the next week. So I should be there end of November.
All the best to the group   Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162