Re: Prop antifouling

Matt Salatino

Proper application is also the key to successful CopperCoat antifouling.
I tried PropSpeed, 3 times. Applied it myself. Followed the directions to the letter. Maybe the directions are wrong, as they don’t say you need to apply the top coat while the primer is still wet.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Nov 2, 2019, at 12:41 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I used PropSpeed with mixed results.

But, while in Turkey I met an American catamaran cruising couple, who loved it. He and his wife had used PropSpeed 6 or 7 times with success. 
  • He said that PropSpeed was only as good as the installation. 
  • He would not allow anyone else to install it...only he and his wife installed it as a team.
  • He said that preparation and following the instructions were very important.
  • He also said that the top coating HAD to be applied so fast after the base coat that it required two people. 
  • He insisted that IT WAS NOT FAST ENOUGH even if you applied the base coat, then immediately applied the top coat. He said a normal prop required two people working as a team: One appling the final base coat with the other immediately behind the first applying the top coat.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 10:26 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

I second the Pettit spray below. This is bar far the best solution I have found for the prop.

Unfortunately, I also fell victim to the claims of Propspeed and completely wasted a couple of hundred dollars in Grenada. It barely lasted 3 months.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matt Salatino via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:40 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Prop antifouling

I tried PropSpeed 3 separate times. (They certainly are proud of that stuff!)

I had the same results as you. Very unsatisfactory. I tried everything, and finally found a decent solution.

<image001.jpg>

I use the spray. About $35 US for a can.

I use the whole can on my underwater metal, usually 3 or 4 coats on the prop. I burnish the fully dried paint with a heavy duty scotch brite pad, to expose the zinc (not on the edges, but the flats of the blades).

In an entire season, not a single barnacle or growth of any kind on the prop. And the paint stayed adhered to my stainless prop. I don’t burnish the other underwater metals, and do have some growth on them, so the burnishing is important. I spray the prop once a year.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 31, 2019, at 7:14 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Looking for advice- I'm doing a bottom job in 6 weeks. Last year I used Propspeed on my Autoprop and 6 months later there was no evidence of it.....the barnacles however were flourishing. While I enjoy diving I like it better without a scraper in my hand.  Given the cost of Propspeed, 6 months is unacceptable. Would love to know if there's something better out there.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.