Re: Prop antifouling

Mohammad Shirloo

We’ve also used prop speed for the past 5 years in the Med and have always had good results.

I do also believe the level of success is highly dependent on the application. I had done a fair amount of research and had discussed process with the applicators. I would only allow applicators that were very familiar with the method of application, to do the work.

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo
323-633-2222 Cell
310-454-3148 Fax

On Nov 2, 2019, at 9:41 AM, CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse@...> wrote:

I used PropSpeed with mixed results.

But, while in Turkey I met an American catamaran cruising couple, who loved it. He and his wife had used PropSpeed 6 or 7 times with success. 
  • He said that PropSpeed was only as good as the installation. 
  • He would not allow anyone else to install it...only he and his wife installed it as a team.
  • He said that preparation and following the instructions were very important.
  • He also said that the top coating HAD to be applied so fast after the base coat that it required two people. 
  • He insisted that IT WAS NOT FAST ENOUGH even if you applied the base coat, then immediately applied the top coat. He said a normal prop required two people working as a team: One appling the final base coat with the other immediately behind the first applying the top coat.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 10:26 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

I second the Pettit spray below. This is bar far the best solution I have found for the prop.

Unfortunately, I also fell victim to the claims of Propspeed and completely wasted a couple of hundred dollars in Grenada. It barely lasted 3 months.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matt Salatino via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:40 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Prop antifouling

I tried PropSpeed 3 separate times. (They certainly are proud of that stuff!)

I had the same results as you. Very unsatisfactory. I tried everything, and finally found a decent solution.

<image001.jpg>

I use the spray. About $35 US for a can.

I use the whole can on my underwater metal, usually 3 or 4 coats on the prop. I burnish the fully dried paint with a heavy duty scotch brite pad, to expose the zinc (not on the edges, but the flats of the blades).

In an entire season, not a single barnacle or growth of any kind on the prop. And the paint stayed adhered to my stainless prop. I don’t burnish the other underwater metals, and do have some growth on them, so the burnishing is important. I spray the prop once a year.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 31, 2019, at 7:14 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Looking for advice- I'm doing a bottom job in 6 weeks. Last year I used Propspeed on my Autoprop and 6 months later there was no evidence of it.....the barnacles however were flourishing. While I enjoy diving I like it better without a scraper in my hand.  Given the cost of Propspeed, 6 months is unacceptable. Would love to know if there's something better out there.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.