Re: Leroy Somer Spare parts

karkauai

I have had one of the “lids” for a year, and just got 2 more.

Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243

On Nov 2, 2019, at 3:11 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Kent and Ian.

When we were in Shelter Bay marina Colon waiting to transit the Panama canal a staff member of the marina smashed one of the top plates trying to remove the central shaft. I only had two days before we transited and we found an egineeering shop in Colon who turned up a new one in aluminiun.

It  was perfect.

The breakage occured because he applied force instead of heat which is what I had asked him to do. Once the blow torch was subseqently applied the shaft came out easily.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 03 November 2019 at 00:33 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi Ian.  I first had new cabinet pulls made.  That worked out well, so when I had two good gear boxes with three broken covers (the plates on the top and bottom of the gear box), I had those printed, too.  So far they seem to be holding up well.
I agree that 3-D printing will become a very helpful tool with items that aren’t too complicated.  With multiple compound curves it requires a very sophisticated 3-D scanner that drives the cost up a lot, especially for small numbers.

I understand that 3-D printing can also be done with a variety of different metals, but haven’t had a need to try that yet.  Materials can add significantly to the cost as well.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Nov 1, 2019, at 8:48 AM, ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

 Which parts did you have made ?  3-D printing could play a huge role in replacing parts that are no longer in production.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece