Re: Maramu 1984 - Genoa - Original sailpan overlap

Ian Park

James
I replaced my 150% Genoa with a 130% in Trinidad.
Coming back across the Atlantic to UK the difference in size with the ballooner and poles set the difference in size was noticeable visually, but didn't affect downwind performance or boat balance.
I have thought that if/when I plan another ocean passage I would get another ballooner made to fit the Genoa track. Two lightweight sails make a lot of sense and would certainly be easier to store than a Genoa. I would just drop my 130 onto the deck and lash it to the rail. Easy enough in light downwind conditions.
The 130% performs much better here in UK weather conditions even when it's furled (with foam luff).

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96