Re: Maramu 1984 - Genoa - Original sailpan overlap

I'll add some more opinion to the Genoa size discussion.

I don't understand the advantage of changing the geometry of the Genoa, when considering that Amel SMs were designed primarily as downwind passage makers with the option of setting furling twin headsails and poles. Changing the size of the furling Genoa doesn't make sense to me, but changing it without changing its twin (ballooner) really doesn't make sense.

The SM Genoa is the most powerful of all the SM sails. It has a bullet-proof furler which will routinely last 20 years without service or even greasing. All of the SM sails, as designed, allow for balanced sailing.  I would like to understand the benefit of reducing the Genoa's designed potential power.

And, more importantly, when owners speak of modifying an Amel design, you know that I am the one raising the Amel flag.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019, 3:17 AM smiles bernard via Groups.Io <smilesbernard=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi there

Ours genoa 150% or perhaps even 160% when we purchased the boat

We reduced it to 135 with a new sail and that seemed like a good compromise to us and got us around the North Atlantic very well.

We pull  the big old one out of retirement for the downwind trade winds passage East to West but at all other times used the 135%

If you go this route .... its well worth checking the smaller sail's clew is cut so it can still be poled out and reefed whilst poled etc

Ours was cut high which worked well fo the poles but just too high so that I can’t reach the leech line or clew without gymnastics - also worth considering imo

As a related aside......my next trip ... (if it happens!) .... for downwind work we will use the 135% and have a dedicated 110ish% strong sail piston hanked onto a removable forestay for pole plus pole downwind work with double headsails

Ive done this before and tried other things like cruising chutes and small spinnakers but for simplicity it cant be beaten in my humble opinion.

The main genoa on the furler as the throttle and the smaller bullet proof one hanked on and up for the whole passage (unless it gets seriously windy).

I appreciate that SM have the choice of the double headsails up the same foil and the means to release this which looks pretty awesome so probably more of a consideration for vintage Maramu folk

All the best and happy sailing

Miles

Maramu 162 1986