Re: Lite gauge wire for bow lights

Matt Salatino

Shielded wire is great for electronics to prevent stray EMI issues. Not so critical for lighting, but still nice to have.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Nov 4, 2019, at 10:41 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

The 22 ga cable is 1 pair (red + black) 2 conductor and double insulated. It is round and about 5-6mm in diameter (around 3/16"). I like it for all electronics because of the double insulation (braid + foil) and its size.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 9:39 PM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
True, 18 gauge wire may be bigger than necessary, but I find it more robust, resisting breakage better than thinner wire, especially routing through difficult spaces.
My 2¢, and your results may differ.  18 gauge is pretty thin.

On Nov 4, 2019, at 9:00 PM, Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris via Groups.Io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Hi Matt,
That looks like Ancor wire - a quality product with the new yellow-red for DC Neg-Positive color coding - although I couldn't see for sure if it was Ancor. Looks like smallest gauge is 18, which is overkill for LED lights.  Bill Rouse's recommendation of the Belden 22 gauge 4 conductor cable may give a smaller diameter and it is round, not oval, so maybe easier running through the stanchion tubes and the flexibility of an extra pair of conductors (although I'm not sure what one would use them for other than future spares).
FWIW, Craig