Re: Victron Quattro charger/inverter installation

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

James,
You may already know but  the inverter on your boat was after market Xantrex 110 volt with its own galley receptacles.  It was wired differently from units installed by Amel so be cautious at the panel.

Ben Driver
SM347
La Bella Vita (former)

On Nov 8, 2019, at 4:32 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

James,

I don't think that you want to bypass the generator/shore power switch for your 220 panel, certainly not for the entire panel.

Like the 54, the SM 220 main panel has 2 buses. breakers attach to the buses. The 54 main panel is similar, but different than the SM main panel. The SM buses are independent and wired to the main 220 block inside the panel. I believe what you can do is leave the generator/shore power switch in place and wire one Main Panel bus to the generator/shore power feed, which is after the generator/shore power switch in the engine room, and wire the other bus to the output of the inverter. The difficulty will probably be moving some breakers from one bus to another to get the desired results. With 5000 watts, you will probably want washer, microwave, outlets, possibly 1 AC and possibly something else on one side. I think that you'll have to move a minimum of 2+2 breakers. You might want to make a new plexiglass face, but, at the least, you will need to relabel some breakers. I think it may also be possible to cut a bus in half, but not sure. Some 54's and 55's were made with split buses where some 220 panel breakers were automatically powered by the inverter.

I may know more in a few days. If so will come back to you.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:16 PM James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
got it.  thanks.
-James
On Nov 7, 2019, at 9:05 PM, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

On the 230/50 panel. Port side is for items supplied by the quay/mains or generator. The starbord side is wired to the inverter. The chargers/ dive compressor,  AC, washer etc is still on the port side.
Porter
Ibis A54-152

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Nov 8, 2019, at 2:36 PM, James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie@...> wrote:

Thanks Porter.  What do you mean by “one side” for each one?
-James
On Nov 7, 2019, at 6:22 PM, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

James. I’ve done this.its a bit of a pain but I rewired  the panel.  One side for inverter power, the other side for shore/generator power. Keeps it logical and simple with out the possibility of recurrent loops.

Porter.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Nov 8, 2019, at 4:36 AM, James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie@...> wrote:

Hello Super Maramu or A-54 owners -
(and particularly Scott Tengah)

I am going to install a Victron 24V 5000W Quattro Charger/Inverter in my Super Maramu.
As this has an internal automatic transfer switch, I am trying to figure out how to wire this unit to bypass the original Amel transfer switch.

In any case, I would greatly appreciate any advice / input on how others have installed this unit in their Amel.  Any photos or schematics would be extremely helpful.

Many Thanks,
James
SV Soteria
SM2K 347
Cartagena, Club Nautico (in the sweltering heat and humidity)