[Amel] Re: 4154 Perkins - Maramu - Temperature sensors

seagasm <seagasm@...>

I have uploaded the wiring diagram to the files folder. The numbered boxes in the component sketch represent the plug connection pins found behind the panel. The corresponding numbers in wiring circuit can be found on the bar of either the standard circuit (without gauges) or the De Luxe circuit (with gauges). All wiring is standard colour coded.

All the best
Barry & Robyn Tradewinds III SM #171

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, sailw32@... wrote:

Barry, I would appreciate the wiring diagram I have been wanting to add
gauges to my boat. Thanks,Pat SM123

In a message dated 4/6/2009 3:43:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
seagasm@... writes:

I am not sure whether you received information about this but I have been
through the exercise myself after a bit of a scare the cooling intake became
blocked. I decided to add analogue gauges so I could monitor the water
temperature and the oil pressure. The Volvo character here steered me in the wrong
direction and it was only due to some research myself I was able to work this
out.

There are two water temperature sensors, one is a switch the other is a
temperature sender. both have wires connected to them as part of the installation
of the engine but the temperature sender is not terminated behind the dash,
only the switch which is activated with the alarm when the temperature
exceeds a number, by then it is probably too late. By installing a VDO temperature
gauge (Perkins and Volvo use), to the blanked off wires from the sender off
the engine that are behind the dash you can achieve your temperature reading.

Likewise with the oil pressure/switch on the engine, there are three wires.
Two are connected to the oil pressure light, the third is blanked off. Get a
VDO gauge and connect to the third wire behind the dash and bingo, we have an
oil pressure reading.

I do have the wiring diagram if anyone wants it.

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn Tradewinds III SM171

--- In _amelyachtowners@amelyachtowname_
(mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com) , "Alex Paquin" <alex.paquin@ale> wrote:

We have a Perkins 4154 engine on our 1981 Maramu. Ther seems to be two
temperature sensors at the top of the engine near the thermostat. One
is threaded right on the engine block. The second one in is on a T
connection right above it (hoses going to the fresh water heater).
Does anyone know what the finction of these are? I guess the one on
the engine block goes to the temperature gauge on the engine panel in
the cockpit and the second one is the temperature alarm actuator? The
second on has a 1/2 diameter thread. Does any one know where I can buy
this part new?

Alex Paquin
Simpatico
Amel Maramu #94