Re: Amel 54 battery group

Alexander Hofmann

Hi Paul, Sharon, Courtney
AMEL has changed its advice for the batteries in about 2015. They advice the AGM 12V/110Ah. I have them onboard since years and I am very satisfied. Will change them after more than 4 years in spring. The general adive is to change them each 3 years. I would reccomend to anyone to change the 13 batteries at the same time, the starter battery and the 6 pairs of 12V batteries in serie, producing 24V. AMEL dis-advices Sol/Gel batteries. See https://www.victronenergy.com/batteries/gel-and-agm-batteries
You can prolong the batteries lifetime with 6 battery balancers (see https://www.victronenergy.com/batteries/battery-balancer) which equalizes the state of charge of the 2 batteries connected.
Alexander Hofmann
SY Oceanica I - Amel 54#156