Re: Antal 120x18 Composite Fibre jib block

John Clark

Hi Duane,
   I am replacing the cars on Annie, currently awaiting shipment from EuroMarine Trading.  My original cars and sheaves were a little coarse but opening them up and cleaning them eliminated a lot of the resistance.  At least on Annie the sheaves are ball bearing supported and opening them up and cleaning them was all that was needed.

Regards,  John

SV Annie SM 37
Brunswick GA

PS: I a replacing them because one sheave sidewall(the metal part) failed while sailing in fair wind.  The stainless steal looked to have been damaged by years of flapping back and forth when the genoa flogs.  I think they were original.

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 8:26 AM Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io <carlylelk=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm wondering if the Antal 120x18 jib blocks on Wanderer need some TLC.  If you try to spin the sheave, there is too much friction to permit it to spin.  It can be turned with thumb and forefinger with enough resistance that one must grip tightly.

I looked on the Antal site but did not find a maintenance manual.

Can anyone comment on the maintenance for this block?

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477