Re: Bow thruster Gear Oil

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Bill;

I have to give credit to the yard guys at Manoel’s boat yard in Malta too as we came up with the idea together.

Off course it is OK to publish. Glad to make a small contribution to years of benefits we have reaped from yours and other Amel owners’ shared experiences..

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Nov 10, 2019, at 11:16 AM, CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse@...> wrote:

Mohammad, 

I just revised my page in the Amel Book to include that PEARL of sage advice from you. Let me know if it is ok to publish. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019, 12:24 PM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ingenious!

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Nov 10, 2019, at 12:14 PM, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi Nick;

We made a fill plug by drilling a hole in the center of an all thread the same size as the drain plug. We just attach a clear hose with the same ID as the OD of the all thread and attach it to a nipple drilled and installed on the lid of the gear oil bottle. We then attach the gear oil bottle inverted to the SS lifeline above the bow thruster. The oil simply gravity feeds from the bottom up. Leave the cap on the bow thruster oil fill reservoir open to let the air escape. It takes a few hours, depending on temperature, but you are sure that you have zero air and it is hassle free while you focus on other tasks. Just check the reservoir once in a while to be sure it does not overflow.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2019 6:59 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bowthruster Gear Oil

Nick,

I filled mine from the top, with the drain open, then used a dinghy pump to pressurise the reservoir until clean oil came out the drain. I did need a few periodical top-ups but never had any problem with the bowthruster.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io
Sent: 10 November 2019 10:43
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bowthruster Gear Oil

Hi Matt,

That does make sense but this is not the first time I have changed the oil. I did it when I bought the boat in June 2017 in Grenada WI. As I remember, I just drained it and filled the reservoir. It was hot and the oil would have been thinner. It was quite cool this time and the oil more viscous…any other thoughts out there?

Nick 

Amelia AML 54-019

On 10 Nov 2019, at 14:03, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

I may be speaking from ignorance, but many lower units require removing the vent plug, and filling via a squeeze bottle from the drain plug, until oil seeps out the vent, installing the vent plug, an then quickly installing the drain plug.

This way, you fill from the bottom, and air is pushed out the top.

~~~~~~Matt

I On Nov 10, 2019, at 8:15 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

I recently hauled out and decided to drain the gear oil from the Bowthruster, the oil was good and not cloudy but after two years needed changing.

Then after replacing the oil drain screw filled up the oil reservoir with 90 weight gear oil. The problem is that the gear oil will not flow. There is obviously some kind of air lock. I managed to get about 250ml in by Blowing into the reservoir, i.e. pressurising it. 

I have now left the boat for the winter and maybe the oil will work its way down by gravity. 

I looked for a bleed screw to let the air out but found nothing. 

Does anyone know if there is a air vent bleed screw? Or is there some trick?

Nick

Amelia 

AML 54-019 ashore at the Bazimakoplou boat yard Kilada Greece

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.