Re: Down wind pole corrosion damage

The black rubber thing you removed is the chafing shoulder where the short pole rides on the main mast rigging. My guess is that sometime during the life of your Amel and while sailing with this pole, the yellow "down guy" was too loose, broke, or the operator failed to rig it. I think a temporary repair is risky because I don't believe any of us know the "design load." The aluminum tube should probably be replaced.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 10:54 AM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
A small crack emerged from under the black cover on the inner down wind pole. I drilled out the cover's retaining rivets and saw the full damage. Visiting the local welder to discuss options. Glad I found this prior to February's Panama City to Marquesas passage.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
SV L'ORIENT