Re: Down wind pole corrosion damage

Thomas Kleman

Bill- thanks as always for your info and speculation. The rivets all over the pole are quite brittle with heads falling out so I'm concerned water ingress and corrosion played a large part. I found the damage as I was preparing to fix several broken rivets. When the welder and I do the autopsy we will know the cause.  The pole been rigged correctly the handful of times I've had occasion to use them. Not sure how long this damage has been here as it was mostly under the wear guard and thus hidden. The pole is of simple 3 part construction so no big deal.....but I might add some corrosion protection or sealant to the joint and rivet areas.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422