Re: Important Update Re: No steering parts, rack & pinion, cables, from Amel

Antonio, Vagabundo SN108

Hi guys,
I follow with great interested this discussion about ultraflex.
I am in Rome and my boat is two hour to ultraflex headquarter, I call today ultraflex and I have the personal phone of his tecnician to find a common solution. My Santorin is 24 Years old and I Was thinking to change the sistem just last year.
Br
Antonio
Vagabundo SN108
In Tuscany

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 14 nov 2019, alle ore 15:58, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> ha scritto:

I posted SM 16 Tamango 2 worn rack photo. This was 29 years old and 50,000 miles. You can see the rack is completely worn out.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:27 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have a photo of Hanspeter's old steering rack which I will post for him in Photos. His was 29 years old and about 50,000 miles.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019, 8:54 PM hanspeter baettig <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote:

Yes this is HP from Tamango 2
I got the chance to order the last piece of Steering material, racks and pinion from SAV. I told that to Bill and SAV will look for new mybe new sources. But; my steereing last for about 50000 nm and 29 years. I did not so much sailing because I was in the med for 20 Years.
the installation took me about 2 hours at Trinidad, with the help of Marc; Dynamic Mec. Chagarumas, Port of Spain
------ Original Nachricht ------
Am Mittwoch, 13. Nov, 2019 um 20:22, CW Bill Rouse schrieb:

Mark,

I believe that the US distributor probably misstated what Ultraflex is doing, but since I am not speaking directly to Ultraflex, I cannot know for sure. Since Thierry BILLARD, manager of SAV at Amel is in discussions with Ultraflex, I feel it is improper for me to get directly involved. The answer to your question will come from an owner ordering the racks from Amel. I am sure we will know more soon.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:13 PM Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:
Bill,

Just to clarify, Ultraflex is committing to make one last batch of cables ONLY?  What about the rack and pinion gears?  From reading posts on steering failures on this forum it seems that the racks are prone to failure - even if their failure is preceded, and potentially caused by, cable failures.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara