Re: Anchor Wash Pump SM

Randall

Since purchasing my 54 I have found myself looking at the anchor washdown with a reinvent in mind. The most important part of the whole washdown is blasting the chain clean before it disappears into the abyss we call the chain locker. We can always go up an wash the anchor when convenient.

Randall
A54-#56

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 6:29 PM Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:

I always felt the anchor wash on the SM did not do a great job. After a minor collision at the bow, it became even less useful. Finally, the pump developed a major leak, not fixable.

I have put in a new pump, Jabsco Hot Shot wash-down, 24 volts, 24 liters per minute, US$185. It develops 70 PSI of pressure, with a pressure cut-off switch. It fits in easily where the old pump was. In the forward port-side deck locker, I disconnected the hose leading to the anchor roller, and instead hooked up a garden hose with a spray nozzle.
The new system works very well, very vigorous spray to clean almost anything that the chain or anchor pulls up without having to use a brush. Granted, someone must be at the bow to direct the spray. In addition, the hose can be used to wash down the forward part of the deck.

Tom Peacock
SM #240 Aletes
Martinique