Re: Mizzen furler

James Alton

Pat,

   I would try detaching/disengaging the mizzen furlers gearbox from the extrusion.  This would allow you to determine where the binding is.  I will leave the specifics of how to detach the extrusion to other SM owners since my boat is a Maramu and the process might be different.  To your other question, yes there has to be a bearing at the top of the mast as well.

Best,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Nov 26, 2019, at 3:34 PM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

When we unfurled the mizzen sail to store it for the winter the sail came out but then became difficult to turn. The furler will only turn about a quarter of the way either direction. Its not the swivel where the sail's head attaches . I have never had an issue with the furler until now. I suppose it could be the furler's gear box , but my question is. Is there a bearing at the top of the mast that may be causing the binding ? I need to decide to pull or not ,both of the masts by next Monday and put the boat in a shed to repaint ,or leave the mast up and have it painted outside. I was leaning towards leaving the masts up until this problem,if its a bearing at the top of the mast it would be easier to deal with on the ground.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans