Re: Loose screws in portlight stainless trem

karkauai

Hi Giovanni.  On SM 243 the portlights were sealed with a LOT of clear silicone caulk.  That made removing the wooden panels inside very difficult.  If you use anything stronger than that you will never get the panels off without destroying them.

Kent & Iris
Kristy
Heading S from the Chesapeake in about 2weeks.

On Nov 28, 2019, at 5:03 AM, Giovanni TESTA <giovannitesta53@...> wrote:

Hi to all,
this is other test : https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/which-adhesive-sealant-is-best-20877
Any experience which the best to seal windshield ? Sika 295 UV vs 3M 4200FC Marine ?
Many thanks
Giovanni Testa
sv EUTIKIA SM 428

Il 27/11/2019 14:52, Mark McGovern ha scritto:
Duane,

I second Craig's suggestion.  Plus, if it fails in less than 50 years Craig will come and personally fix it for you. ;)

3M 5200 is known as "The Devil's Glue" and should really only be used on things that you never, ever, want to take apart again.  Offhand, I can't think of a single place on my SM that I would use it in place of something that is almost as strong but way more removable like 3M 4200.

Here's a pretty good article on marine adhesives from Practical Sailor:  https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/36_8/features/Marine-Adhesives-Caulks_5953-1.html

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara