In the end the stiff squeaky furler was only failing due to the bushings and after the complete disassemble I learned silicone lube is not what is needed.  Clean the bushings period.

Randall
AMEL 54 #56

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 3:00 PM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Randall, It looks as though the tooth broke nearly completely off ,its hard to understand when enough force would ever be applied on the gear to break it off. Sounds like things came apart for you easier than for others ,probably due to your boat being newer than the SMs. I think I may try to disassemble mine just to clean it up, if I can without resorting to extreme measures.
Good luck finding the part,
Pat
SM#123

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall Walker <sailingalbedo@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Nov 28, 2019 8:17 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Pat I took the mizzen furler off yesterday It was an easy task I took it to complete disassembly stage. Bill sent me the info on the disassembly leave the sail on undo the bolt holding it to the sail foil lift the foil with the sail halyard up 2 inches undo the 2 bolts on the outside of the mast and slide the unit out then you need to disassemble the unit.
I first removed the allen bolt from inside the crank and then attempted to unscrew the part that holds the Delrin/Teflon bushings clean then reassemble. I took it one step further and unscrewed the bottom part of the furler and cleaned the bearings and reassembled. You will see the gear on mine is damaged from corrosion ( I will source a replacement gear)

Randall A54#56

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 2:40 PM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Danny, I wish we had not already drained our water system, the marina has as well, its starting to get cold here.I think I will take the gearbox apart and take home ,clean & grease. I may pull the masts to put the boat in a shed for repairs and to be repainted this winter . I am not really sure I want to be " gob smacked " ,sounds painful , but being married I am use to abuse, and if the mizzen furls easier that it might be worth it .
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans