Re: Question about Cutlass bearing change

Matt Salatino

We had CopperCoat on our previous boat. It is now going on 6 years. It’s been sanded ONCE, before we splashed it for the first time.
It’s never been pressure washed.
We followed the application instructions, to the letter, and it’s been good for us.
We’ve heard some horror stories about it, and in every case, it was improperly applied.
Big ships don’t need to use it as they can use TriButyl Tin based paint. Highly toxic to sea life and people, long lasting, and illegal to use on recreational boats in most countries. I believe it’s still available in Trinidad.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Nov 28, 2019, at 11:43 AM, Arnold Mente via Groups.Io <Arnold.mente@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,
be informed, Coppercoat needs a regular service with cleaning with pressure wash and sanding so the copper comes get activated and comes to the surface!
I am not opportune against Coppercoat, but why the commercial ships don't use it? For 3 years in water you can use a GOOD antifouling and paint it again. But according the AMEL service plan it is a 2 years  rhythm to haul out. A friend of mine, also a SM got problems after 5 years and he let the job do again. He is one money takes no matter! He is happy so far there is someone who do the Job! The cutless bearing (think you mean the C-Drive bearing) needs a replacement all 2 years or 800 h.

Arnold
SY Zephyr
SM203

Am 28.11.2019 um 16:51 schrieb Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...>:

Hi all,

How often is it recommended that the Amel 54 cutlass bearing be changed? Mine was last changed 6 years ago and I have not seen any sign of water ingress in the oil since, not experienced any problems. Reason I ask is that I will soon be having a coppercoat put on after which I hope to avoid hauling out for an extended period. Perhaps I should also replace the rudder post stuffing at the same time seeing as the plastic collar is now extremely tight to prevent leakage.

Cheers,
Paul
S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--