From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2019 3:26 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Greasing stegring cables

Pat,

Steve would know better than any of us.

--

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 10:20 AM Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...> wrote:

Hi Pat,

I would suggest you do not attempt to add a grease fitting to the Racks. The steel racks take up almost all the room inside the black housing they are fitted into, and I’m not sure you can find a place to put the nipple.  Even if you could, the grease is not going to circulate adequately around the racks. When I took my racks apart, they were still packed full of grease after 27 years. If you are losing a lot of grease from your racks, something is probably not right, and you should take them apart. If you are just losing very small amounts of grease, don’t worry, the racks are very full of grease.

Just my two cents worth, but having replaced my entire steering system (racks, pinion, and cables), I have a fairly good understanding of how it works.

Regards,

Steve Davis

Aloha SM72

Ko  Olina, Hawaii

On Nov 24, 2019, at 4:07 AM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bill , I may go ahead and try to add a nipple,if as you said the wall is too thin to tap , I will seal it by other means. I will in the future tie the wheel off center to spread the wear as per another owners suggestion a week or so back,a good idea. If the rack is steel, do you think it possible to replace the worn metal through welding in new material and then fashioning new teeth by filing.

Thanks,

Pat

SM Shenanigans