Re: Greasing stegring cables

smiles bernard

Hi James
Yes mine has 2 grease nipples also
I am happy to report that my morse 401 racks were in great shape on inspection. I’m not too sure what they are made of

One of my cables was stiff  which is why I took the steering apart.   I discovered that’s the reason was due to grease working it’s way into the cable ends and hardening.
I managed to flush the old grease out with some kerosene and the cable was very smooth after that. Thanks to Graham on Zephyr for that tip 👍
I think with the use of lithium grease this hardening won’t happen. One to consider.

All the very best

Miles
Maramu 162

On 4 Dec 2019, at 00:06, James Alton via Groups.Io <lokiyawl2@...> wrote:

Miles,

  If you look carefully on the back of the top rack I think that you will find that your boat actually has two grease nipples on the steering system,  or at least mine does.  I missed the second one myself on the first grease run.  I can tell that grease is getting on to the racks since it changes the sound and the feel slightly.  While it is certainly easy to pump some fresh grease in I am thinking that it would be a good idea for me to take everything apart and clean out any abrasive material that might be in the old grease.  Fingers crossed that everything looks good!

Best,

James
Maramu #220

On Dec 3, 2019, at 4:12 AM, smiles bernard via Groups.Io <smilesbernard@...> wrote:

Hi there
I thought it would be interesting to note that on the mid 80s Maramus with morse 401 commander rack and pinion steering system each rack has a grease nipple so this sounds like a good idea as an upgrade for the ultraflex system imo.

All the best
Miles
Maramu 162

On 23 Nov 2019, at 21:32, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Pat,

The potential grease port location I spoke of may be easy to reach on one rack, but I am not sure about the other. See below.
<image.png>

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 3:19 PM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Pat,

I haven't considered that. I assume that you are referring to the racks...the steering cable is sealed.

I assume that the "leaking grease" is coming from the rack housing at one end or the other. If I recall these ends are not perfectly sealed. And as the toothed rack moves back and forth, it could push excess grease toward the ends of the rack housing.

Keep in mind that it is the steel toothed racks inside each rack housing that will fail with excess wear and that excess wear will be very close to the center of each rack. I believe this is wear caused by the autopilot "back and forth motion." It may also be caused by securing the helm in a center position while anchored.

Amel SAV said that they are going to be sourcing these steel toothed racks and have them available, even though the original manufacturer, Ultraflex, has stopped producing them. See the worn rack below:
<image.png>

One rack has teeth pointed upward, the other rack teeth are pointed downward. Tooth orientation, along with primarily
center wear, should be considered when adding grease/fitting.
<image.png>

Translation:Corrugated Washer ---- Teflon half-rings

<image.png>

Possibly, the cover shown below can be drilled to inject grease. If so, this would be a fairly easy modification that could possibly add years of service to the racks.
I am worried that the metal is to thin to take a thread tap. If that is true, possibly it could be drilled, grease injected and a rubber plug inserted. I know there are a few owners who can answer this question. We may need a volunteer to study this further.
<image.png>

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 1:55 PM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill, For some years now I have had a minor leak of grease from the rack&pinion . What do you think about adding a nipple to put a little grease back into the unit .
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans