Re: How to make the most of Victron Multi-Plus Inverter/Charger on SM#387

Mark & Debbie Mueller

You stated that “For example, should a water heater and Air conditioning unit wish to be used simultaneously and in conjunction with shore power / on board generator the 50A unit would be chosen (50A - 11.5kW peak loads)”.  If I understand that you are connecting the shore power and generator simultaneously to the same circuit it is been my experience that catastrophic failures occur in the generator and likely some components between the generator and shore power unless the generator has some fairly sophisticated phase matching capabilities, I do not believe the equipment on our boats have that capability.  The generator must have the capability to match the peaks and valleys of the sine wave supplied by the shore power input.

Failures of this nature typically occur when a transfer switch fails connecting both shore power and generator.  Search message #46769 for a recent example of this on an Amel.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54