Re: Stern tube hose

James Alton

Arlo,

   I was wondering how you were measuring the OD on your stuffing box and stern tube?  I have always sized my hose to the root or the base/pipe OD of the fitting which does not include the barbs.    The hose without wire (even the thick BA hose) is pretty soft and will pretty  easily stretch to fit over the barbs if it is sized to fit the base “pipe” OD of the fittings.  The Buck Algonquin 5 ply Packing Gland  hose should be available in a size to fit your stuffing box.  2”, 2 1/4”, 2 3/8” etc.  see link below.  There used to be a number of suppliers in the US, should still be some.  If you get stuck let me know and I will do some research if you want to use this type of hose.

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Dec 14, 2019, at 12:21 AM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

Hey there Danny. I called them today and they dont have any 4 or 5 ply in stock of that size...they are doing some research for me. Great place as I have bought hose there before and appreciate the reminder!