Re: AMFA bilge pump rebuild kit

Sv Garulfo

hi Craig, all,

I’m pleased to report that I was able to implement Craig’s suggestions to repair the plastic/aluminium clutch gear of the Marina ZZ bilge pump gearbox.
Interestingly, it initially looked like a piece was missing, creating a gap, but the lack of debris and the matching break surfaces convinced me otherwise. I guess the plastic ring is tensioned over the aluminium.
So i elected to mate one side of the break and fill the gap with epoxy and a pin. I cut a new groove in the epoxy for the worm gear and luckily it aligns well, allowing the gears to run pretty smoothly.

Hopefully it’ll last 12+ years, but still have a replacement planned, available from Amel and also Emek.

Thanks again

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Ua Pou, Marquesas, French Polynesia

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 at 12:16, Sv Garulfo via Groups.Io <svgarulfo=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Craig,

I think i found it (at least another thread where you quoted it).
I will have a look to see what could be done.

Cheers
Thomas

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 at 04:17, Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Thomas,
Definitely not broken beyond repair. If, as Bill suggests, you can get a new plastic gear that would be super.  If not, you can actually repair the old one quite easily - search for my old post on the subject, but basically, separate the outer toothed part from the inner ring, rotate the toothed part on reassembly so you've spanned all the inner breaks. Then drill holes in the valleys of the gear on each side of the breaks, thru the inner ring and put "pins" (finishing nails will do) thru the holes. You might wash it in mineral spirits first and add some glue to the brew. I did this repair on mine maybe 12 years ago or so and it its still going strong.
Cheers, Craig