Raymarine Autopilot

Duane Siegfri

Our Raymarine S3G course computer is not working again.  The first repair in 2017 was just a software issue that was easily remedied.  This time I'm getting the same "Drive Stopped" error message on the ST7001 control head.  I have checked symptoms, and it seems tha1t the rudder reference, clutch, motors and compass are all working.  I've waiting to hear back from Dan Gerhardt about repairing the S3G, I don't know if he is still in business.

I'm starting to consider replacing the control head, compass, and course computer.  I'm hoping to be able to keep the drive units with their 12V clutches.

If you replaced your AP and kept the drive units, what did you use?

What was really frustrating was I had purchased a spare S3 Course Computer from Dan Gerhardt in 2017.  I just installed it, thinking this would be easy,  and it had more problems than the original equipment!  It would not engaged the clutch.  I've kept it double bagged in zip-locks and it still has problems.

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477