Re: Raymarine Autopilot

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Duane,

Years ago when going through French Polynesia I had the same. I too was told it was the course computer by two different techs who came on the boat and did a lot of diagnostic tests. We ordered a new one and waited 3 weeks in Raiatea to receive it. In the mean time a long term cruiser told me the problem would be a poor electrical connection between the computer and the rudder area. Having lots of time I finally listened to him and checked all the connections. In a junction box near the rudder I found corroded connections. I cut them back and reconnected. Problem fixed. Now, 10 years later during my pacific voyaging this year I had the beginnings of the same problem again. I checked the same connections and found corrosion. Problem fixed.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 19 December 2019 at 05:52 "Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io" <carlylelk@...> wrote:

Our Raymarine S3G course computer is not working again.  The first repair in 2017 was just a software issue that was easily remedied.  This time I'm getting the same "Drive Stopped" error message on the ST7001 control head.  I have checked symptoms, and it seems tha1t the rudder reference, clutch, motors and compass are all working.  I've waiting to hear back from Dan Gerhardt about repairing the S3G, I don't know if he is still in business.

I'm starting to consider replacing the control head, compass, and course computer.  I'm hoping to be able to keep the drive units with their 12V clutches.

If you replaced your AP and kept the drive units, what did you use?

What was really frustrating was I had purchased a spare S3 Course Computer from Dan Gerhardt in 2017.  I just installed it, thinking this would be easy,  and it had more problems than the original equipment!  It would not engaged the clutch.  I've kept it double bagged in zip-locks and it still has problems.

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477