Re: Stern tube hose

Arlo

Hello all.....well we did the haulout on Sunday and had the mechanic come by on Tuesday and pull the prop, prop shaft and cutlass bearing. As it turns out the bronze driveĀ  shaft was significantly worn (really deep grooves) where the original stuffing box was located. This coupled with the fact that the Tides silicon hose just didnt make me feel comfortable I decided to get a new stainless drive shaft. I have also decided to proceed with the Lasdrop gen II dripless shaft seal. Everything should be done by early January. I am also taking the opportunity to have the drive shaft alternator rebuilt, replace the alternator belt and get a spare on the shaft and clean and paint the bilge...if anyone does solve the shaft tube hose issue, I am still interested in how and this group would be a great place to post it for the benefit of others...I appreciate everyone's help. Will post pics and cost when the job is done.