Re: Raymarine Autopilot

eric freedman

I would also check the drive belt for missing teeth and the planetary gear. If you do not have the bronze gears in the drive section I would change them out.

Did you try applying Dc to the clutch to make sure it is engaging, its 12 volts. I would also try putting voltage to the drive motor.

It is a rather simple device and should not be difficult to repair. I also recall somewhere way back in my memory that I had an issue with the screw in the center of the clutch, a little too tight or loose and the drive showed an error.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:20 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Raymarine Autopilot

But, Dan Gerhardt is a better solution.

--

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. 

View My Training Calendar

Image removed by sender.

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 5:41 PM JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...> wrote:

Duane

We had 2 problems in our Raymarine auto helm

Which we sorted in the mid pacific

1 the springs holding the carbon brushes on the armature needed tightening to apply more pressure 

2 when we pulled the actuator arm to bits the tiny ball bearings were dry so we filled the arm and ball bearings with lithium grease and reassembled 

It has gone ever since with us sailing another 4000 miles

I have also purchased a new motor unit as a Spare part ein the USA for peace of mind. While dealing with the issue I noticed in the hand book that the unit should be sent to an autohelm agent for service every two years

Seasons greetings 

John Hayes

Nga Waka sn 141

Wellington 

New Zealand 

On 19/12/2019, at 9:13 AM, Giovanni TESTA <giovannitesta53@...> wrote:

Hi, have a look at brushes dust inside linear drive to avoid bad electrical connections. That happened to me.

All the best to all

GIOVANNI

Eutikia SM2k 428

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 18 dic 2019, alle ore 19:13, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> ha scritto:

Hi Duane,

I'm fairly sure it was the wires to the drive motor that had the corroded connections , not the rudder sensor. The techs advising me did all those diagnostics too. Its not a hard job to check all connections.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 19 December 2019 at 06:40 "Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io" <carlylelk@...> wrote:

Danny,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm sure it's not the rudder sensor.  Raymarine gave me the resistance between various pairs of the four rudder sensor wires and they were all within spec.  If there was corrosion the resistance would be too high.

Thanks,
Duane

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.