Re: Water in far forward cubby in V berth

James Alton

Kent,
  Sorry to hear about the wet carpet and mildew problem.  Since the carpet is soaked with salt water, you must remove the salt or else the carpet will stay forever damp since salt can pull moisture out of the air.  Rinse with fresh water as best you can.  Suck out as much of the water as possible with a wet/dry vacuum then dry the carpet with a dehumidifier and fans.  I would probably use a mild bleach solution to kill the mold and of course rinse everything that the bleach was applied to with fresh water since the bleach is corrosive.  Best of luck.

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Dec 28, 2019 5:02 PM, "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:
Hi everyone, hope you are all having a great holiday and sailing season.

we have just discovered very damp carpeting in the open storage space all the way forward on the port side of the V Berth (next to the shelves over the bow thruster).  The water is mostly on the forward wall shared by the port bow locker (where the security rope comes thru to cleat the locker hatch down.)  It is salty to taste.  The bow locker is dry (for the first time in two years since I replaced the seals ;-)> ).

Needless to say the mildew is already starting to grow.

Other than we vacuuming the carpet as best I can, and treating for mold, would you do anything else to the carpeting?

Any ideas where this water might be getting in?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Happy New Year!
Kent & Iris
S/V Kristy SM 243