Re: removing the rudder on a SM2K

Jean-Pierre Massicotte

Hello Olaf, I have a Santorin, the built is very similar, I would send the pictures to SAV Amel for comments. In my case I had similar cracks along the rudder shaft and after consulting Amel was told not to worry and repair those cracks with epoxy pastes since that part was not structural! Remember those rudder are hollow construction. The back end are essentially fairing.

Since then I have done over 35 000 NM without problems. Hopefully the repair was done correctly using Amel technic.

Best regards

JP

On Sat., Jan. 4, 2020, 20:35 Olaf Bauer, <olaf.bauer@...> wrote:
Hello AMELians,

does anyone have experiences with removing the rudder on a SM2K and could provide the steps (a how to) and what I have to consider while de-installing the rudder?

It seems that the previous owner hit something with the result that the rudder was broken out to the direction starboard. It also seemed that the PO repaired it but unfortunately not all, in a bad way or it got the cracks afterwards on the portside (see attached pic). The crack is on port side and highlighted in yellow in one of the attached pic.

Thanks so much in advance.

Fair winds

Olaf

S/V Katchopine, SM2K 392