Re: Amel's suggestion to run the Volvo D3-110 (A54) daily while on passage

Porter McRoberts

No you’re not the only one. We do it too.
But our engine did fail, but it wasn’t a flooded engine scenario, but rather bad cylinder liners. A new engine. H version has been running well from Panama to New Zealand.
I think it is good advice, on really any engine or configuration, if not sea water, sea mist and air get into the remaining open cylinder through the open valve.

But a question to those who know much more than I re this scenario: doesn’t the muffler reduce flow from the external boat to the engine?  And also, the one way exhaust valve, at the exit of the exhaust from the hull, also reduce back flow?

Best of luck Scott
Porter A54-152

On Jan 6, 2020, at 9:22 PM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Given the spate of failed Volvo D3-110 engines and more than a few with seawater found in the cylinders, I am inclined to believe that there is a design weakness in the exhaust system on A54s. I do not know if the exhaust system is significantly different on the SM and other prior models but it does seem we only hear of flooded A54 engines.

In any event, I read the following in my manual and at least two other A54 owners had never heard this advice:

"You must run the main engine everyday of sailing for 15 or 20 minutes (in 1 or 2 times) to drain the exhaust circuit from the seawater the waves that fill in it."

Am I the only one who does this?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69