Re: Amel's suggestion to run the Volvo D3-110 (A54) daily while on passage

Beaute Olivier

Happy New Year to all of you happy AMEL owners,

In severe conditions, on a port tack, the waves slapping the portside may push some seawater into the main engine exhaust through-hull fitting. This is why AMEL installs (in SMs since 1993 and AMEL 54 and 55) an anti-return rubber flap (not a one way valve) into a stainless steel box, close to the hull. However, even if this system works fine, it is recommended to run the engine twice a day (or more, depending on the conditions) in order to blow out the water that could accumulate in the VETUS muffler.
If the rubber flap is damaged/old/out of shape, it could let more water in. This is something you can check (with your hand or a picture from outside). I would replace it every 2000 hours or 10 years.

At sea, if you want to check if water has accumulated in the VETUS muffler, you may open the plug located at the bottom, and let the water drain.

I'm not sure there are so many engines damaged by sea water entering the exhaust line. However, there are other causes for water to get into the cylinders:
-a leaking water maker high pressure circuit can make a seawater mist/drizzle that will be sucked at once if the engine is running at the same time. Water will get into the cylinders through the air intake valves
-trying to start the engine (cranking) without firing will cause the muffler to fill up with seawater that will not be blown out because of no exhaust gas. Once the muffler is full, water may get into the cylinders through the exhaust valves

Last point, the anti-siphon system cannot prevent water from getting into the exhaust line. It is designed in order no water can be sucked from the intake line, and once the engine is off, in order the line drains into the muffler, and water does not keep above the engine for a long time. This is also a check point (does the water drip out of the cockpit while the engine is running?).

Starting the engine once a day (or twice in bad conditions/port tack) is not a big deal and will keep you sure that the engine is OK. 
I cannot imagine that you AMEL owners, sail on a passage without running the engine for a week or more...

AMEL does not give the same advice concerning the generator because they consider that you need to run the generator twice a day (on a passage). For those who now rely only on solar panels, wind generators and water generators, I strongly recommend that you start the genset also once or twice a day (in bad conditions) in order to blow out the water that could accumulate in its muffler.

Happy sailings and fair winds all along 2020.

Olivier

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020, 10:09:54 AM GMT+1, Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio@...> wrote:

Same instruction for Amel 54 with Volkswagen 140 tdI
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.