Re: Amel's suggestion to run the Volvo D3-110 (A54) daily while on passage

Porter McRoberts

Thank to Oliver and also to Scott. Great question!
Porter A54-154

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com

On Jan 7, 2020, at 11:18 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Fantastic information from Olivier.  Thank you. I presume the flap is a specific Amel part or can we buy it elsewhere? I am totally for supporting Amel but the shipping costs from France get a bit high for a small part. :)

On another note, what is the general guideline for using the Volvo D3-110 and the Onan when the boat is heeled over? I do recall reading the Onan spec that it shouldn't be used at more than 10 degrees constant with short bursts to 20degrees. I can definitely hear a change in genset note when the boat is rolling and it is not related to the exhaust outlet going underwater.

Back in my car racing days, I was very aware of oil starvation when the oil sloshes to the side of the oil sump while cornering. The solution there was either baffles (helps) or a dry sump. Is this a concern with our marine engines/genset?

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69